Saturday, June 13, 2009

Getting Started

I ordered the Itty-Bitty Bookworm today! This is a preschool curriculum that is a simple, organized, teach-it-yourself curriculum specifically designed for children ages 18 months - 5 years of age. Based on quality children’s literature, each week will focus on a different book – while all activities and projects revolve around these stories. Not only does this format keep learning fun and relevant – but it will also help us quickly build a library of children’s books that Briena will enjoy again and again. There are two different curriculums to choose, Bailey's Curriculum for ages 18 months - 36 months or Bo's Curriculum for ages 3-5 years of age. I first learned of this curriculum from my cousin Felicia's blog. She is using the same curriculum. I knew from the first time I found out I was pregnant that I wanted to do things different this time. With maturity I have learned that raising a child is not just about keeping them alive until they reach adult age, but it is about teaching them how to be responsible, productive, happy adults. And my belief is that a good education is the foundation. I've tried on my own to teach her the basics like letters, numbers, colors, shapes, animals, etc. and she has done remarkably well. But now we have reached a point that I don't really know what to do now. When I found this curriculum I was excited to see a road map to help me teach her. I have had experience with The Abeka curriculum which is phonics based and plan to implement some of what I already know into this plan. But the Abeka plan alone was too rigid for my taste. I'm starting with the July calendar because I needed a little time to do some reading and material preparation before I start. I ordered the books last week because I knew it would take time for delivery. And so the journey begins, I'm ready to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment